In the early post-war years a shortage of US dollar exchange contributed to a British Government decision to ban the import of light aeroplanes from America. Surrounded by ex-RAF Tiger Moths, Squadron Leader J.E. Doran Webb of the Wiltshire School of Flying at Thruxton Aerodrome commissioned Ron Prizeman, Chief Engineer of Baynes Aircraft Interiors at Heston, to design a four-seat cabin aircraft based on the DH.82A Tiger Moth. The result was the Thruxton Jackaroo, certificated as a DH.82A (Mod), which first flew from Thruxton in the hands of ex-FAA test pilot Pat Shea-Simonds, on 2 March 1956. A total of 25 aircraft was laid down of which 20 reached airworthiness.