DH.51

DH.51

The un-named DH.51, first flown in July 1924, was an early attempt by the de Havilland Aircraft Company to provide a practical aircraft for the private owner. The type proved to be too big and too heavy for easy operation without a team of assistants and only three aircraft were built, the last of which, exported to Kenya in 1926, was returned to England in 1965 and rebuilt for the Shuttleworth Collection by apprentices from the one-time de Havilland factory at Broughton, Chester. Operated at Old Warden Aerodrome, DH.51 G-EBIR is the oldest airworthy de Havilland aircraft in the world.