DH.53 Humming Bird

DH.53 Humming Bird

The DH.53 Humming Bird, the de Havilland Aircraft Company's first truly light aeroplane, was designed against the impractical specification issued for the Air Ministry's Light Aeroplane Trials held at Lympne Aerodrome in October 1923. In contrast to the DH.51, the single seat DH.53 proved to be too small and underpowered although several long-distance flights were achieved and the aircraft was flown in demonstrations of her aerobatic capabilities. The prototype, G-EBHX, which first flew from Stag Lane Aerodrome in the Autumn of 1923, was refurbished by Students of the de Havilland Aeronautical Technical School at Hatfield in 1960 and is currently owned by the Shuttleworth Collection at Old Warden Aerodrome.