The DH.88 Comet was designed and flown in ten months to be an entrant in the MacRobertson International Air Races starting from RAF Mildenhall, Suffolk, to Melbourne, Australia, in October 1934. Built largely at Stag Lane and finished and flown from Hatfield, the DH.88 was the first British aircraft to be fitted with a retracting undercarriage, wing flaps and variable position propellers. Three aircraft were constructed for the MacRobertson Races and sold to private entrants. Powered by two specially adapted Gipsy Six R racing engines, Comet G-ACSS was the overall winner completing the race in an elapsed time of 70hrs 54min. Restored to flying condition by British Aerospace in a combined exercise with many other organisations, G-ACSS is owned and operated by the Shuttleworth Collection at Old Warden.